Rare has just deployed Sea of Thieves Sept. 23 Update and we have the complete patch notes for your reading pleasure. The new update brings in the 4th Season of the game which adds in new content, bug fixes, quests, and more!
The update will be available after a short maintenance period which has started from 10 am BST. You can find all relevant information about Sea of Thieves Patch Note: Sept. 23 Update (Season 4) including the server downtime information down below. The update file size has still not been revealed.
Sea of Thieves Patch Notes: Sept. 23 Update
Here are the complete patch notes for Sea of Thieves Sept. 23 Update coming out on all supported platforms:
The Seasons turn once again, and Sea of Thieves’ world expands beneath the waves! First sighted in the Tall Tales of Season Three, the full expanse of the Sunken Kingdom becomes explorable in Season Four. Scout out the Shrines, tear through the Treasuries and reap the rewards! But first, watch the trailer…
Sea of Thieves Season Four: Official Content Update Trailer
Duration 6:02PLAY VIDEO
Now get your teeth into the details below as you prepare for undersea adventures, imminent Events, Emporium enticements and a deluge of Deeds. Read on!
THE SUNKEN KINGDOM
Do you dare seek the spoils of the deadly Sirens? Their Shrines and Treasuries are now laid bare to any sailor of the Sea of Thieves. Great wealth and knowledge await those brave enough to take the plunge, but the Sirens and Ocean Crawlers will protect it with their lives…
THE SUNKEN KINGDOM – RELEASE NOTES
Another 100 levels of Seasonal progression with a wide range of rewards to shoot for, complemented by a shake-up of the Trials and Deeds system that now gives you more varied ways to get there. New Emissary Ledger rewards? Season Four has those too!
SEASON FOUR – RELEASE NOTES
For those seeking something a little more focused than the intentionally wide-ranging Trials, each new Season delivers new time-limited in-game Events offering their own rewards. Find out what you can expect in the opening weeks of Season Four!
GAME EVENTS – RELEASE NOTES
Whether you go down a regally reptilian route with the Golden Nile collection or raise your emote game with Absolute Joker and Victorious Weapon Pose picks, September’s Emporium restock has you covered. Meanwhile, everything’s new in the Season Four Plunder Pass!
PIRATE EMPORIUM – RELEASE NOTES
Olive Majestic Sovereign Set
- The Outpost clothing shops now stock the Olive Majestic Sovereign clothing set, available to purchase for gold.
- Nautical Narration is a feature to help players navigate the seas using their handheld compass or ship-mounted compass, announcing the direction being faced when ‘Let Games Read to Me’ is enabled.
- There are four different options: ‘Off’, ‘One Shot Narration’, ‘Continuous’ and ‘Continuous When Equipped’.
- ‘One Shot Narration’ means the direction your pirate is facing will be narrated once when using the compass. When using the ship’s wheel, players will need to press E on the keyboard or the Y button on a controller to narrate the ship’s current direction. This can be rebound within the game settings.
- ‘Continuous’ will narrate the direction your pirate is facing as you turn while using the compass.
- ‘Continuous When Equipped’ will continually narrate direction without the player needing to raise the compass.
- For ‘Continuous’ narration options, the delay between narration can be configured within the Accessibility Settings.
Island Enemy Encounters
- When encountering emergent threats while exploring smaller resource islands, crews will now only encounter a specific type of enemy in a wave rather than facing waves of mixed enemy types.
Deep Sea Enemy Encounters
- When groups of players swim into deep water, the number of Sirens that can appear has been reduced.
- Players can now hold down the Space Bar on a keyboard or the A button on a controller to swim directly up when underwater. This keybind is remappable so that players can change it to their own preference.
Dynamic Resolution on Xbox Series X
- On Xbox Series X consoles, Sea of Thieves will now dynamically scale resolution in order to maintain a smooth 60 frames-per-second experience during periods of high activity.
Front End Messaging
- The game’s front end now supports the display of player-facing notifications sent from Sea of Thieves Support, used to communicate issues that may affect active or incoming players.
Muting Copyrighted Audio in Sea of Thieves: A Pirate’s Life
- A new option can be found in the Audio Settings allowing content creators to mute all copyrighted audio heard throughout the Sea of Thieves: A Pirate’s Life Tall Tales.
- When ‘Mute Copyrighted Audio’ is enabled, any music cues, sound effects or audio taken from or based on Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean movies or attraction will be muted, including the ‘Yo Ho (A Pirate’s Life for Me)’ shanty when played by players.
Replace Gamertags Keybind
- The option to keybind ‘Toggle Replace Gamertags’ for quick use has now been re-enabled.
- Ocean Crawlers should no longer appear and disrupt the Legend of Glitterbeard experience.
- Players can no longer cancel the self-douse animations while using the bucket in order to throw water into their face more rapidly than intended.
- Players should no longer be able to mitigate damage dealt by other players during a game stall.
- Players should no longer be able to extend the distance when fired from a cannon during a game stall.
- Using a ship’s harpoon prior to server migration should no longer cause that harpoon to become unusable following migration.
- Devil’s Roar Merchant Cargo Voyages now consistently lead to a character in The Devil’s Roar to collect the required cargo.
- Completing the Devil’s Ridge Wayfinder Voyages for the Gold Hoarders should now count towards the Golden Devil’s Voyager Commendation within The Forsaken Shores.
- When starting a Lost Shipments Voyage, the first parchment that players receive should now display text correctly.
- When playing with an AZERTY keyboard layout, the 1 and 2 keys will now quick swap to the appropriate items.
- When selecting the Condemned Captain Monkey in the Pet Chest, no clothing should be selectable from the Outfit tab.
- ‘Fate of the Morningstar’ – The Quest Book now better supports Japanese localisation without some characters appearing cut off.
- ‘Fate of the Morningstar’ – The “Open Sarcophagus” tooltip should no longer remain on-screen after opening the sarcophagus.
- ‘A Pirate’s Life’ – Players are no longer able to leave a Galleon travelling through the Tunnels of the Damned.
- ‘A Pirate’s Life’ – Improved server stability when releasing the Cursed Captain from his cage.
- ‘A Pirate’s Life’ – The Flying Dutchman will appear correctly alongside the Ferry of the Damned with complete visual effects and accompanying voiceover from Davy Jones.
- ‘A Pirate’s Life’ and ‘Captains of the Damned’ – Players should no longer be able to activate a Voyage after transitioning through the Tunnels of the Damned.
- ‘A Pirate’s Life’ and ‘Captains of the Damned’ – Rejoining a session after disconnecting while in the Tunnels of the Damned should no longer cause the player to ‘wake up’ at the Tale location, away from their ship.
- ’The Sunken Pearl’ – When following the debris while swimming down, it should no longer pop into view.
- ‘The Sunken Pearl’ – The water from the stone faces should no longer noticeably restart each time the player’s camera changes position.
- ‘The Sunken Pearl’ – The Mermaid Statue located outside the Throne Room should now have appropriate interaction prompts.
- ‘The Sunken Pearl’ – Players should no longer be able to stand inside the Kraken’s head and attack it with a cutlass.
- ‘The Sunken Pearl’ – Players should no longer be able to skip the mechanisms in the Salvage Room by jumping on coral around the environment.
- ‘Captains of the Damned’ – Players should no longer be able to harpoon the Cursed Captain’s skull from the top of the tavern door.
- ‘Dark Brethren’ – Voiceover lines for various characters should now play correctly throughout the Tale.
- ‘Dark Brethren’ – The statues should appear to be illuminated when joining a crew in progress during the Chamber of Sorrow encounter.
- ‘Dark Brethren’ – Players should no longer be able to get stuck or fall under the map in the Lower Ascending Chamber.
- ‘Dark Brethren’ – The waterfall splash VFX in the Ascending Chamber should no longer become invisible when a player gets close.
- ‘Lords of the Sea’ – The intro cutscene should now play as intended when starting the Tale.
- ‘Lords of the Sea’ – Voiceover for various characters should now play correctly throughout the Tale.
- ‘Lords of the Sea’ – Cancelling or failing the Tale should now cause the Spire and Siren Statues to descend gracefully.
- ‘Lords of the Sea’ – The Storage Crate of the Dark Brethren should now use the correct name on the pick up/open tooltip when viewing it.
- ‘Lords of the Sea’ – After starting and cancelling the Tale, the Spire should now animate correctly and no longer sit above the water.
- ‘Lords of the Sea’ – Davy Jones should no longer be missing his voiceover lines after the Flying Dutchman’s defeat.
- When creating a Custom Server session, the host can now directly invite friends to the lobby using an in-game option.
- Players using ‘Let Games Read to Me’ who receive a message from a player with Text To Speech enabled should no longer hear the message narrated twice.
- Within the Pirate Legend Hideout, players should no longer be able to push through the environment near the pier and appear in the sea.
- When spawning at Golden Sands Outpost with a Brigantine, the ship should now appear closer to the dock.
- After defeating an Ashen Lord on Shipwreck Bay, the treasure dropped should now be accessible every time.
- At Sailor’s Knot Stronghold, treasure should no longer be able to fall under the environment near the Vault doors.
- The Pirate Emporium at Plunder Outpost and Ancient Spire Outpost should no longer have a peanut bag sticking through the wall.
Visual and Audio
- The Trident of Dark Tides now has a green glint when viewed from a distance.
- All Merchant Commodities and Bounty Skulls now glint when viewed from a distance.
- Each Trading Company’s Reputation page should now correctly summarise the total number of Titles that can be earned.
- Soulflame Cannon Flare visual effects should now appear as intended to other players present.
- The correct audio sound should now be heard when digging up a treasure chest.
- The Hunter’s Call Forager Parrot should now be suitably sooty after being fired out of a cannon.
- In an active Ancient Vault, water pouring from the statues will now be clearly visible at all times.
- The Relic of Darkness Wheel has been modified to prevent it blocking players’ ability to see the ship’s compass.
- The Tribute Peak and Relic of Darkness Cannons have been modified to improve aiming visibility when firing.
- Emotes which have a visual effect will now correctly display this effect in the preview within the Pirate Emporium and Vanity Chest.
- The time remaining in the Seasons menu should now correctly represent the time remaining within the Season.
Performance and Stability
- Further improvements made to server performance, reducing latency during gameplay.
- Improved server stability, reducing scenarios where crews are removed from a game session.
Legend of the Sunken Kingdom Voyage
- Players are temporarily prevented from using Sunken Merfolk Statues to store quest items such as chests and keys received while on the Legend of the Sunken Kingdom Voyage. Crews are encouraged to keep the Forbidden Coral Chest with them while venturing below the waves and using the keys as soon as they are uncovered to reduce the number of items needing to be carried.
Ranged and Melee Weapon Hit Detection
- n areas of intense action, players may find themselves firing shots or landing strikes that do not cause damage to their targets. While small improvements continue to be delivered during our regular updates, we are continuing to investigate and identify further improvements to improve the player combat experience.
To learn more about known issues in Sea of Thieves currently being tracked and their status, head over to our Known Issues support site article.
Download and Installation
Xbox Series X: 7.6 GB
Xbox Series S: 6.4 GB
Xbox One X: 7.6 GB
Xbox One: 6.4 GB
Windows 10: 7.1 GB
Steam: 6.7 GB
XBOX INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS CAN BE FOUND HERE.
PC INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS CAN BE FOUND HERE.
If you’d like to read more game updates and news, check out our Patch Notes section.