Elden Ring is an open-world RPG title by FromSoftware that has done a great job of keeping the Dark Souls’ legacy alive. While the game is extremely fun to play, you are still going to die a lot. Margit the Fell Omen will be your first true test. You might hope for the game to have a pause button at that point. However, there is a way to pause the game in Elden Ring.
While the game officially does not support a pause option. There is a third-party tool that can do just the job for you. Having a pause can not only aid you in defeating many difficult bosses but can also give you breathing rooms in between. With that said, here is how you can pause in Elden Ring.
How to Pause Elden Ring
A recent Mod has enabled players to pause Elden Ring. While the idea of pausing a modern game sounds a bit unrealistic, it is here and it works splendidly! There are a few steps you need to take in order to download this Mod. Therefore, bear with us as we walk you through everything.
Fulfilling the Prerequisites
Your first job should be to disable the anti-cheat system present in-game. This will prevent any third-party applications to work properly with the game. Therefore, it is better to remove it. However, you will need to re-enable it to play online again.
However, the game will not run if you do it the normal way. We will be showing you a nifty little trick you can implement in order to get rid of the anti-cheat. Here is what you need to do:
- Go to the root of the game and create a text file. The root format is “xxxxx\ELDEN RING\Game\”, simply open the game files from the file explorer and you are good to go!
- Change the name of the file you’ve just created to “steam_appid.txt” and write 1245620 inside the file. Press save and locate a file named “start_protected_game”.
- Change the name to “start_protected_game.old”and create a copy of the executable game. You only need to copy the “eldenring.exe”.
- Rename the copied .exe file to “start_protected_game”.
The game should be able to run perfectly fine without the Easy Anti-Cheat loading up. However, there will be a message saying “Inappropriate Activity Detected”. However, there is no need to panic since is well expected.
How to Install the Mod
Now that you’ve gotten rid of the anti-cheat, it is finally time to download and install the Mod. Keep in mind that this method is completely safe as of yet and no official statement has been released by FromSoftware that might indicate a ban for this.
Even if the anti-cheat is enabled, the mod will simply not load and you won’t risk a ban. With that said, here is how you can install the game pause Mod for yourself.
- Download the Zip file for PauseEldenRing.
- Locate your root game folder. For Example: “G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ELDEN RING\Game\”
- Place the zip file in the directory and you are good to go!
As mentioned, this Mod is completely safe to use by the time of this guide. If you want to uninstall it then simply delete “dxgi.dll”. Furthermore, you will need to remove “.old” from “start_protected_game.old”. Repair your files and you are good to go!
How are your Elden Ring sessions going so far? Have you encountered an obstacle en route? Let us know in the comments below.