The PS5 and PS4 are not getting their fair share of firmware updates in the month of April. With the new update coming out tomorrow, it will be adding external USB support for the PlayStation 5, with new social features being added in the PlayStation 4 as well.
The new update for the PS5 should come in handy for those who are running out of space from their consoles. With the ability to transfer games and a completely revamped trophy UI, some much-requested features have finally been added! Here’s everything you need to know about the April 2021 Patch for the PS5 and PS4.
PS5 April 2021 Patch Notes / Feature List
Starting from the 14th of April, the PS5 will now support external USBs, here are some of the key highlights regarding external storage support from the patch notes:
- With compatible USB Drives, you will be able to transfer your PS5 games to your extended storage and then transfer them back seamlessly whenever you wish to play the game.
- Since the PS5 has an extremely fast SSD, you will not be able to play games from the USB Storage. However, the games will be updated automatically and you are also given the option to choose what part of a game you wish to transfer.
For more details and a list of all supported USB external devices, you can check out Sony’s official website.
Customization and UI Updates
The Game Base menu for the PS5 has also been updated to the latest version, here are all the new features:
- Improved Game Base: The Game Base Menu has been improved to let you switch quicker between parties and friends and to also look at your friend’s statuses.
- Disable Game Chat: You can disable in-game chat and also alter the volume of anyone in a party if they are too loud or quiet.
- Game Update Pre-Downloads: If enabled, game updates will download automatically even if your PS5 is in Rest Mode.
- Screen Zoom: You can now adjust your screen zoom in the Settings Menu.
- New Trophy Settings: You can adjust when a screenshot / video is taken when accumulating a trophy depending on its tier.
New PS4, PS5 Features
Some cumulative updates are coming out for both the PS4 and PS5 in the April 2021 Patch. Most of them revolve around changes in the UI and general ease of access.
- Cross Generation Share Play: PS4 and PS5 users will now be able to share play together while chatting in parties.
- Request to Join Game Session: Joinable game sessions will now appear on both consoles allowing for friends to instantly hop in a session if the game supports it!
We hope you are as excited for the PS4 / PS5 April 2021 Update as we are! Is there are a particular feature you want take a look at first? Let us know in the comments section down below!
If you’d like to read more game updates and news, check out our Patch Notes section.