Dying Light 2 has been going through a flaky start at best. With numerous bugs and issues popping up already, its safe to say that we’ll need to go through a few patches like the one that has just been released before the game’s stable.
As of yet, most users are reporting crashes / stuttering after they unlock the open world or choose their starter skills. While getting to that part takes an hour at best, that’s where you’ll start truly enjoying the game! With that said, you can find fixes (both official and unofficial) to help with crashing at launch alongside stuttering in Dying Light 2 down below!
Fix Dying Light 2 Crash at Launch, Stuttering and Low FPS
With preloads for the game just starting, there’s a high chance that you’ve just gone through downloading and installing Dying Light 2 to start your epic trophy hunt only to see it crash at launch or experience massive hitches and stuttering. Thankfully, we have the fixes for you right here. You should try and apply these before you start leveling up for a smooth gameplay experience!
Crash At Launch
If Dying Light 2 is crashing at launch, an official workaround has just been released by the developers that should help run the game on PC for now. Here’s what you need to do:
- Right click the mouse button Dying Light 2 -> Properties
- Click on launch options
- Add the following command: /nolightfx
- Your game should run now!
Dying Light 2 Not Responding (White Windowed Screen)
If you have tried the fix above and the game still does not seem to be working, all you need to do is delete d3d11.dll from the game’s root folder and you should be good to go.
Note: Some users are also reporting that deleting their config and save files have helped them get rid of this issue.
Low FPS / Stuttering
If you’ve been suffering from low FFS, don’t worry, as of yet, the game does not seem to be well-optimized and therefore, players are running into their beefy rigs slowing down. In order to fix low FPS / stuttering in Dying Light 2, you should first take a look at our guide for the best graphics settings currently available for each GPU.
However, before you get started, make sure your system meets the minimum specifications required to run the game.
After that, it that still doesn’t seem to work, there’s a few fixes you can try in order to make sure that your game is running optimally:
- Download Game Ready Drivers: If you haven’t already, make sure that you are on the latest firmware for your graphics card, you can do so here:
- Perform A Clean Install: If you still see some errors / artifacting or jagged edges popping up, you should perform a clean install of your GPU’s drivers before you start blaming the game. You can use DDU in order to do so. We also recommend changing your control panel settings after you’ve reset them to default.
- Verify File Integrity: If the game seems to be lagging for no apparent reason and you are noticing some random crashes here and there, chances are that your game might be corrupt. Therefore, you should verify file integrity from Steam by heading to Properties -> Verify Integrity of Game Files
- Audio Hitching / Stuttering: We’ve already concocted a guide to help you fix audio / stuttering issues in Dying Light 2. However, for a quick fix, disable and enable your speakers / audio driver from Windows Device Manager
That’s everything you needed to know on how to make sure Dying Light 2 doesn’t crash on you when you launch it! If you still haven’t purchased the game, maybe finding out all the cool new zombies added to the game might help change your mind!